BentallGreenOak (BGO) is a leading global real estate investment management adviser and a globally recognised provider of real estate services. BGO serves the interests of more than 750 institutional clients with approximately $81bn of assets under management (as of 30 September 2023). BGO has 28 offices across 14 countries with deep local knowledge, experience, and extensive networks in the regions where we invest in and manage real estate assets on behalf of our clients in primary, secondary, and co-investment markets.
BGO represents the merged platform of GreenOak Real Estate with Sun Life’s wholly-owned real estate investment management business, Bentall Kennedy. Sun Life Financial, Inc. (NYSE: SLF) is an indirect majority (51%) owner of BGO. The team’s investment professionals have successfully executed transactions ranging in size from $10m to over $1bn across a diverse range of asset types, including office, multi-residential, retail, hotel, industrial, life science, data centre and mixed-use.
BGO, as a firm, has adopted consistent sustainability initiatives across its platform. BGO maintains an internal sustainability team that works closely with the investment and asset management teams to facilitate the holistic adoption of sustainability principles into the investment process. BGO approaches ESG through a business lens and does not view a tradeoff between corporate responsibility and profitability. BGO implements ESG best practices with a view to achieving not only significant expense savings but also enhanced revenues and improved capital market desirability of an asset.
- Emphasis on new build or recent build, in the right markets
- Identify secular shifts driving demand
- Long-term underweight, given expected demand drivers
- Open to unique office assets with attractive surrounding infrastructure or necessity tenancy
- On a select basis with a focus on exceptional early-state demographic growth trends
- Market selection based on forward predictive demographic information is key judgement
- Prioritise affordability
- Prioritise space and amenities
- Consider rent control or lease-up risk where appropriate
- Focus on supply-constrained submarkets
- Long-term underweight given expected demand drivers
- Open to necessity-based retail and integration with either residential or medical footprints at the right price
LIFE SCIENCE & MEDICAL OFFICE:
- Very selective in US and European markets
- Seek less capital intensive and defensive assets
- Pursue demographic driven thesis
- Emphasis on credit and longer-term leases
- New build or very recent builds
- New builds in the right markets
- Actively pursuing structured opportunities given current market conditions
Investment principles & strategy
Proprietary Deal Flow: BGO leverages its well-established platform, local presence and extensive global network of operating partners, investors, intermediaries and financial institutions in order to access off-market transactions.
Data-Driven Location Selection: BGO has developed a rigorous, in-house investment research methodology that pinpoints desirable locations by using a carefully selected set of demographic and economic variables. Coupling on-the-ground, experienced investment teams with best-in-class research capabilities allows BGO to identify promising opportunities ahead of the curve.
Longstanding Operating Partner Relationships: BGO utilises a network of experienced operating partners to contribute to the execution of the business plans of fund investments and to broaden access to unique proprietary investment opportunities.
Sustainability: BGO approaches ESG through a business lens and sees corporate responsibility and profitability as going hand in hand. BGO maintains an internal sustainability team that works closely with the investment and asset management teams to facilitate the holistic adoption of sustainability principles into the investment process.
Active Risk Assessment: BGO regularly and rigorously assesses the risk profile of the underlying real estate markets and each asset within the fund’s portfolio to ensure sufficient diversification. The investment manager seeks to identify critical risks with a focus on preservation of capital and downside protection.
Strategic corporate development
Global Platform with Diverse Strategies
- Global concentration in gateway markets
- Investing based on demographics
- Focus on industrial and logistics sectors globally
- Pricing visibility across equity and debt capital markets
- Valuation insight across products and geographies
- Real-time knowledge of global capital flows
Deep Relationships and Capabilities
- Locally integrated, sector-focused asset management teams with deep market knowledge and extensive management experience
- Strong track record of managing properties and enhancing long-term value through NOI growth and operational excellence
Research and Data Driven
- Fundamentals-driven investment strategies
- Product-specific tactics and targetted execution of asset business plans
- Ability to identify regional pricing disparities to optimise exit strategy and buying opportunities
Quarterly performance data based on unaudited financials and annual performance at year-end based on audited financials. BGO engages a third-party administrator, Alter Domus, to provide accounting services. Alter Domus maintains the books on a quarterly basis and will send to BGO a comprehensive NAV reporting packing and partner capital roll-forward.
BentallGreenOak (“BGO”) includes BentallGreenOak (Canada) Limited Partnership, BentallGreenOak (U.S.) Limited Partnership (“BGO U.S.”), their worldwide subsidiaries, and the real estate and commercial mortgage investment groups of certain of their affiliates, all of which comprise a team of real estate professionals spanning multiple legal entities. BentallGreenOak assets under management shown here include real estate equity and mortgage investments managed by the BentallGreenOak group of companies and their affiliates. This data is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell or solicitation of an offer to buy units in any BentallGreenOak fund. All of the information presented herein is subject to, superseded and qualified in its entirety by, the more complete information contained in the products offering documents.