Mapletree is a leading real estate development, investment and capital management company headquartered in Singapore. Its strategic focus is to invest in markets and real estate sectors with excellent growth potential, to provide healthy and stable returns to its investors.
Since its inception in 2000, Mapletree has been actively investing in income-yielding assets around the world. By incorporating its key strengths as a developer, investor, capital and property manager, Mapletree steadily grew a global portfolio of income-producing assets. In line with Mapletree’s strategy to establish new income streams beyond Asia and diversify its business, the Group ventured into highly developed markets of Australia, Europe, the United Kingdom (UK) and the United States (US).
In financial year 2020/21, the group continued to broaden its presence by successfully making acquisitions of data centre, logistics, office, residential and student accommodation assets in Singapore, Australia, China, Europe, India, Japan, South Korea, the UK and the US.
As at 31 March 2021, Mapletree has assets under management (AUM) of S$66.3bn (US$49.5bn)1, a 16% compound annual growth rate since 31 March 2011. Approximately S$46.5bn, or about 70% of the group’s AUM are held under four of its Singapore-listed REITs and five private equity real estate funds. Mapletree strives to maintain an optimal capital structure that provides the group with the financial flexibility to pursue new investment opportunities. Mapletree’s properties span 13 markets, namely Singapore, Australia, Canada, China, Europe, Hong Kong SAR, India, Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, the UK, the US and Vietnam. Mapletree owns and manages a diversi- fied portfolio of data centre, industrial, lodging, logistics, mixed-use, multifamily, office, residential and retail assets. To support its global operations, Mapletree has more than 2,580 employees operating from our extensive network of offices.
1 Exchange rate of S$1.34012 per US$1 is applied throughout.
Key Business Segments
South East Asia & Group Retail
Developer / investor / manager of commercial properties (and select industrial properties) in Singapore and properties in Southeast Asia.
Developer / manager of logistics properties in Australia, China, Malaysia and Vietnam.
China and India
Developer / investor / manager of properties in China and India. Existing private real estate fund platforms:
- Mapletree India China Fund (MIC)1: Established with the objective of maximising total returns by acquiring, developing and realising real estate projects in China and India.
- Mapletree China Opportunity Fund II (MCOF II): Established with the objective of maximising total returns by investing in a portfolio of development projects and projects with value enhancement potential located in Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities in China.
Australia & North Asia
Developer / investor / manager of properties in Australia, Hong Kong SAR and Japan. Existing private real estate fund platforms:
- Mapletree Australia Commercial Private Trust (MASCOT): Established with the objective to invest in income generating commercial assets that are strategically located in key Australian gateway cities.
Developer / investor / manager of global lodging properties in North America, the UK and Oakwood. Existing private real estate fund platform:
- Mapletree Global Student Accommodation Private Trust (MGSA): Established with the objective to invest in an attractive and resilient income-producing student accommodation portfolio in the UK and the US.
Europe and USA
Developer/investor/manager of properties in Europe, North America and the UK. Existing private real estate fund platform:
- Mapletree US & EU Logistics Private Trust (MUSEL): Established with the objective to invest in high-quality and strategically located logistics asset in the US and Europe.
- Mapletree Europe Income Trust (MERIT): Established with the objective to invest in income-producing grade A office assets that are located in key European growth cities.
- Mapletree US Income Commercial Trust (MUSIC): Established with the objective to invest in income-producing grade A office assets that are strategically located in key growth cities in the US.
Singapore listed REITs
Mapletree Logistics Trust
- Manager of logistics properties in Singapore, Australia, China, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Malaysia, South Korea and Vietnam. First Asia-focused logistics REIT in Singapore, with the principal strategy of investing in a diversified portfolio of income-producing logistics real estate and real estate related assets in Asia Pacific.
Mapletree Industrial Trust
- Manager of industrial properties and data centres in Singapore and North America. REIT investing in a diversified portfolio of income-producing assets used for industrial purposes in Singapore and income-producing assets used primarily as data centres beyond Singapore.
Mapletree Commercial Trust
- Manager of office, business park and retail properties in Singapore. REIT investing on a long-term basis in a diversified portfolio of office and retail assets in Singapore.
Mapletree North Asia Commercial Trust
- Manager of commercial properties in China, Hong Kong SAR and Japan REIT investing in a diversified portfolio of income-producing commercial real estate in Greater China and Japan.
1 MIC and MJLD Funds were fully realised in April and June 2020 respectively
Investment principles & strategy
Mapletree’s business model creates value through our core capabilities in real estate development, investment, capital and property management:
Create value: We transform greenfield lands, underperforming assets and pre- cincts into high-value real estate with our strong development know-how.
Capitalise on opportunities: We pursue, seize and underwrite new business opportunities across the entire real estate value chain.
Grow third-party assets under management: We employ a disciplined capital management framework to deliver consistent and high returns to our investors, demonstrated by the successful execution and performance of our four listed REITs and six private real estate trusts2.
Steward of assets: We provide a suite of quality property management services to our tenants and ensure that their operational needs are met.
At Mapletree, we also believe in the importance of incorporating sustainability into our business value chain and operations in order to achieve sustained outcomes for the people and communities in the markets where we operate. At the same time, we ensure that we minimise the environmental impact of our business.
2 Includes Mapletree’s six existing private real estate trusts, namely, MCOF II, MGSA, MUSEL, MASCOT, MERIT and MUSIC
Strategic corporate development
Mapletree will continue to focus on proactive, disciplined asset and capital management to execute the key elements of our business model well to ensure a continued stream of income and high profitability. We will continue to sponsor our listed REITs and private funds as well as create new investment vehicles to cater to different investors’ investment preferences and risk appetites such as launching private funds in the commercial and logistics sectors.
Mapletree sets target returns for each of the strategies implemented. We have a team focused on quarterly reporting and measuring performance against forecast on an ongoing basis. All of our funds are independent valued and audited externally each year.
None of the information contained herein is intended to constitute an offer, intended offer, invitation or intended invitation to sell or acquire or purchase any real estate-related assets, investment products or services of or by Mapletree or any associated entity, and must not be relied upon in connection with any investment decision. This document should not be construed as investment, tax, legal or other advice. No representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained herein and the information may be subject to change at any time.
The information herein may only be reproduced with the prior written consent of Mapletree. More information on Mapletree is available at www.mapletree.com.sg or may be provided upon request.